Can't get bath side panel off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if this is the best place to post. Need to remove the bath side panel to investigate what looks like a slow leak from the bath, at the taps end. Just spent an age, trying to remove the side panel. Obstructing cabinet unit removed (fixings visible). Upper right shows some swelling & blackness due to slight water run over, the panel is MDF with a plastic veneer. Can yank the right hand side to and fro, have been for an hour or so, but just won't budge more than an inch if that at right bottom. No screws etc I can see. Is it glued in? Needs smashing out? Ideas please.

P.S. the hole to upper right was me trying to use a screw to pull it out.

Attachments

• Side Panel.jpg
    Side Panel.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
They are usually - top under the bath lip first, then pushed in tight at the bottom. Removing them, is the reverse procedure. You will need to remove that fixing on the side wall, but I would try levering the panel up first...

A bit of something like floorboard, sat on a block, one end under the lip, and press down. Ease the panel out, as you lower it

Sponsored Links
Am still trying, have to stop now and carry on tomorrow. The leak isn't huge, could be just silicone sealant failing around bath edge even leading to drips when showering, but need to expose what's below the bath to know. A magnet couldn't find any screws. I wonder if it was a too tight fit then hammered home, plus a bit of MDF swelling in the damp conditions? Will try again tomorrow and update, thanks for replies so far.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
OK, back as promised. I finally got the panel off, it wasn't even attached in anyway I could see, it must just have been far too tight and rammed in yonks ago. Screwing some self-tapping screws along the lower area, and gripping them with pliers, allowed me to repeatedly yank the panel lower edge until it eventually came loose with a bit of a bang. Thanks for the suggestions. The smallest steps can take the greatest time.

Now the more regular plumbing problem causing the slow leak. In the pics, you can see water dripping when the cold tap is run, where the white U-bend trap meets the black sink strainer (or whatever it's called) from the bath. I notice some crusty looking old yellow sealant, Boss White perhaps? Anyway, other than replacing the rubber seal at the top of the trap, what do you knowledgeable plumbing people recommend? PTFE tape of the black threads, Boss White again? Saturate the threads with Fernox LS-X type silicone?

These kind of fittings stay unseen for years then make themselves known with costly damage to ceilings below, so I'm just after your best advice so this doesn't return.

Bath Trap#1.jpg
Bath Trap#2.jpg
Bath Trap#3.jpg

Don't bother trying to patch up something that has failed. They are cheap enough so replace the bath waste and the trap. Shouldn't need any sealant between waste and trap. Firm hand tight should do it.
I sometimes use a thin smear of LSX either side of the rubber between underside of bath and waste.
As Andy says, signs of water running down wall so check silicone.

Yes I noticed the black corner, though it didn't seem to be the cause of this leak. I will silicone that wall behind the taps and then replace the whole trap unit, I have one I think I got a few of years back but never used.

I have a spare bath waste too. It seems a cheap plastic thing, much like the black one pictured. Is that just the way of modern stuff, cheap & cheerful, or are any stronger/better than others?

Use a McAlpine waste and trap. Any should fit but if they are from the same manufacturer, there should be a better chance of a perfect match. I would throw away the stuff that's been kicking around the shed for years and buy new. Cheap enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back