car tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so i went down to the post office yesterday to tax my car, which runs out at the end of the month. and they refused because i didnt have the log book. so i now have to wait 4-6 weeks for a log book before i can tax my car. yet i get a fine for not taxing it.

what a ****ed up world we live in. try to pay and they dont let you, then they fine you for not payin

Sponsored Links
Why do you need the logbook? Surely the renewal notice exempts you of the need to show it? You just take your certificate of insurance, MOT, and the RN and Bob's yer uncle. Has something changed that we've not been told about? :(

Ensure your tax disc is up to date.

You can keep your tax disc up to date by filling in the relevant section of the renewal reminder form V11 and taking it to a licence-issuing Post Office branch. V85/1s (for Heavy Goods Vehicles) must be submitted to a DVLA Local Office*) or

Apply for a new tax disc using form V10 at a licence-issuing Post Office branch or form V85 (for HGVs) at a DVLA Local Office*. You will need to show your Vehicle Registration Document/Certificate (commonly known as the logbook) or the tear-off slip V5/2-V5C/2 if within 2 months of date of purchase

From the DVLA web site, see here
Nothing new since Jan 2004 ;)

I'm guessing Andrew just bought the car and the bottom of the log book wasn't sign off by the old owner in which you tear off to get it tax :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
got car and sent away change of owner docs. havent got reminder, went to DVLA office and its still under the previous owner, so until it gets changed and i get log book (4-6 weeks) they wont let mt tax it.

they expect you to pay or they fine you, but there makin it harder to pay

The green part (V5/2) of the form distinctly tells you not to send it to Swansea. This is your proof of ownership and also enables you to tax the car. DVLA introduced these changes to stop the old stupid system where anyone could tax a car and then get a log book, even for a car that didn't belong to them. The new system is better and helps prevents thieves giving stolen cars another identity. The reason they take so long is because they will write to the previous owner to confirm who he sold the car to. You will just have to hope he replies to their letter otherwise they may want to inspect the identity or VIN of the car. Letting you tax the car would make a mockery of their good intentions of stopping theft.

The only part that doesn't make sense is why they put the section you keep in the middle of the form, rather than at the top or bottom.

david and julie said:
The green part (V5/2) of the form distinctly tells you not to send it to Swansea.......

im not sure what part was sent. my dad sorted all the documents etc, but they were sent, altho it appears that DVLA didnt get it, so the car is still registered to the previous keeper. which means that because of their system i cannot tax the car, and i have no intention of not using the car

andrew2022 said:
altho it appears that DVLA didnt get it, so the car is still registered to the previous keeper. which means that because of their system i cannot tax the car, and i have no intention of not using the car

You're in luck then ;) Any fine will go to the previous owner :evil:

The reason you cannot tax it is stop car Crime....!! :confused:

Some dimwit, halfbrained, retarded gimp in the Government thought that car theives would tax the car they stole if it had no tax on it..this measure is designed to stop that... :confused:

THIS IS WHAT WE PAY TAX FOR, USELESS, ILLTHOUGHT-OUT LEGISLATION THAT MAKES CRIMINALS OF JOE SOAP IN THE STREET AND LETS THE POLICE IMPROVE CRIME FIGURES BY NICKING US INSTEAD OF THE ****ERS THAT STOLE YOUR LAST CAR, BURGLED YOUR HOUSE, RAPED THE DOG AND NICKED YOUR FAVOURITE GARDEN GNOME!!

FWL_Engineer said:
The reason you cannot tax it is stop car Crime....!! :confused:

Some dimwit, halfbrained, retarded gimp in the Government thought that car theives would tax the car they stole if it had no tax on it..this measure is designed to stop that... :confused:

THIS IS WHAT WE PAY TAX FOR, USELESS, ILLTHOUGHT-OUT LEGISLATION THAT MAKES CRIMINALS OF JOE SOAP IN THE STREET AND LETS THE POLICE IMPROVE CRIME FIGURES BY NICKING US INSTEAD OF THE **** THAT STOLE YOUR LAST CAR, BURGLED YOUR HOUSE, RAPED THE DOG AND NICKED YOUR FAVOURITE GARDEN GNOME!!

In actual fact the gimp was right and the thieves did tax the car. The reason was they then got a new V5 in the post would ring a car and sell it on. Some people still believe the V5 is proof of ownership, which is not the case.This often wouldn't come to light until the new buyer sent the V5 back to Swansea or tried to tax the car again. By which time the thieves were long gone.

stop talking out your arse fwl
the legislation is actually there to stop vehicle cloning and is a measure of protection. it may not be infalliable but it helps.

Sponsored Links
Back