Cavity wall insulation from inside the house??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me! :)

My (difficult) neighbour wants to put cavity wall insulation into their walls, and are saying, because of my shed, that they cant fill 8 feet of their wall. My question is this; can they fill that 8 feet from the inside of their house?? I have no problem with them filling their walls, its just they like making things uncomfortable for me.

Also, does anyone know how far cavity wall insulation spreads out? Would one drill hole at either end of my shed, filled with insulation, meet in the middle?

Can repliers please post any internet evidence i can show my neighbours, thanks in advance!!

Bexx

Sponsored Links
Surely they are happy that you appear to be granting them access on to your land to get to the rest of their wall ?

:evil:

No, they are very unhappy with me as they didnt want me to put the shed up in the first place! It's a upvc leanto store room, like a conservatory, on the farthest third of my driveway, which is 3 car lengths long. I resorted to this shed as they were making life very difficult for me regarding attaching the store room to a (presumed) party wall, the one they want to paint and install insulation into. So basically, they didnt want me to attach to the party wall (in fact, they put their house on the market for 6 months without any plans to sell, just to hold me up), and they didnt want me to not attach to the party wall either. They're just plain difficult. :evil: :mad:

You can cavity fill from the inside just the same as you can from outside without any problems; slightly more work to make good & the guy with the fill gun has to watch what he’s doing! But if you allow the installer access to drill a hole & pump from your side, what’s the problem?

A bit confused that the party wall is inside their house & outside yours & in your shed! Is it a staggered terrace property; in which case are you sure it’s actually a party wall you’ve bolted your shed onto? Have they added an extension? If it is a legitimate party wall, you are just as entitled to bolt your ‘lean to’ shed onto it as they are allowed to add an extension & cavity fill it!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard, basically my house is attached to theirs upstairs as i have a bedroom over my driveway. The party wall makes up one wall of a bedroom, and the side of my carport. The lean to is at the end of my driveway, attached to my lounge wall.

Can you find a source on t'internet about cavity wall filling from the inside??

It doesnt matter which side you cavity fill from..same result.
If your shed isnt rendered on the inside let them blow it in from your side once they put it right after.
If its beads they are having blown in the holes are usually a metre or so apart(holes @ ground level and holes @first floor )..im not sure if this is also the case for rockwool etc.
BTW... is the centre of the cavity the boundary?
Either way id let them do it...youll have a cosier shed!
Marty.

it is possible to do it from inside (I have an odd wall where the outside is partly exposed and partly in roof space) but it is undesirable. Consider drilling several biggish holes through the plaster and brick, it makes quite a lot of gritty dust. In my case the room was empty for redecoration so not a problem.

I thought the holes were at 2metre spacing but could be wrong.

I agree with the idea of letting them drill through your shed wall, unless the dust will be a problem. IIRC the nozzle can be tilted inside the hole to blow the stuff to the side.

Is the shed spaced slightly away from this party wall with it's own seperate wall, or is the to-be-insulated wall also the inner part of your shed structure?

What exactly is it that they are doing which will disrupt you or damage your property?

Moderator 5, dont you think i have looked myself?? I am asking the professionals on here because i cant find anything on the net about it, and thought someone here may know where to look.

Thanks for you help guys, my shed is about 6 inches away from the party wall, with its own separate wall. Its quite a complicated wall; one of my bedrooms joins a section of it upstairs, and my car port, below the bedroom, only uses part of the wall too. Is the party wall the whole wall or just the parts of it that my bedroom and carport are part of? Sorry if i am not being very clear, its hard to explain.

They are not doing anything to disrupt my property, i just wanted to tell them that they can fill the bit of wall that they say they cant reach from the inside, and preferably show them evidence of this.

If your being co-operative with them, I don’t really see the problem here; what do the professional installers advise (I hope it’s not a DIY effort)? Why don’t your neighbours just take & follow their advice? They will have come across far more difficult problems that this & filling from inside is not that much extra hassle. I was advised this was the only way part of my property could be accessed, although I’ve yet to go ahead with it so can’t confirm the practice!

If your shed is not actually connected to the party wall (if that’s what it is!), I don’t see they can have any grounds for complaint, they need to get around the problem themselves. Although fixing to a party wall without their permission may not be permitted (& I may be wrong here) but I can’t imagine there are any covenants in your property deeds that stop you erecting a shed within your own boundary!

I’ve had a quick Google myself & unfortunately I can’t find anything specific either; searching with different phrasing may throw up something!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back