Ceiling question - overboard or repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having a new kitchen later this year and we need downlights installed and some sockets removed, so the electrician is going to have to make holes in the almost pristine 1990's ceiling which is currently papered. The paper looks to be coming off easily. I guess to paint it, i'd need to wash it first then mist coat. The ceiling has coving installed.

I had a plasterer around to quote for repairs or skim and he said he would not be able to get a good finish by patch repairing and skimming, and would prefer overboard and then skim. This seems crazy to me, as I thought plaster could be repaired in situ?

The quote for 8mx5m ceiling overboarded, skimmed, new coving (plaster not polystyrene) and then painted white matt is £1250, which seems a bit cheap to me, but what do others think? This is in South West.

Should I find another plasterer to quote for repairing the ceiling? It is going to be some small holes for the electrician to disconnect the existing sockets (x3) on one wall and wago the ring to ensure connectivity, so not huge holes. The downlights can be wired without damaging the ceiling beyond the actual holes (i.e. wired from above).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used to work for a kitchen company and they remove ceiling to sort electrics then replaced with a new one. Made things easy.
You could pull down and reboard yourself?

As for patching. You would need to remove paper and probably skim ceiling as patching paper won't look good. Might as well replace it

Thanks

I've taken the wallpaper off the ceiling. There are lines which presumably is the tape but apart from that it looks pretty good?

Attachments

• PXL_20240730_181456293.jpg
    PXL_20240730_181456293.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240730_181239860.jpg
    PXL_20240730_181239860.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240730_181304995.jpg
    PXL_20240730_181304995.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
I'd bodge a cheap orbital sander on vaccum and run over ceiling then gardz to neutralise paste.
See how it looks.
Can't tell from picture.
How much making good will it require as is?
I know it will have holes in soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back