Ceiling Rose connection pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 4 cables coming down into my rose. three are red and black ad the last one is red and black with a red sleeve on the black. I need to ensure the connetction is safe. I have a second light fitting which i am sure comes from this one as one dimmerswitch controls both lights. I am struggling to work out how to resolve this as most diagrams show three cable connections and not four within the loop system. All cables have an earth as well.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a loop in fitting with an extra cable to the second light (connected to the same places as the light flex)

Sponsored Links
I agree with plugwash.
One of the cables will be the 'live' coming from the previous rose.
One cable will go to the switch, this will be the one where the black has a red sleeve. One cable will be perament 'live' going to the next rose in another room for example.
The remaining cable is I believe there to supply your 2nd lamp using the same switch and this is where it can be misleading.
Normally all the 'reds' will be in the same terminal block, but if you did this your 2nd light would always be on because you would have by-passed the switch.
For yours to function correctly the 'red' on this cable ( when you have identified it) needs to be in the first terminal block along with the black with red sleeve. This means power will go to the existing light through the brown wire and also through the 'red' to the 2nd light in the 2nd rose, so both lights function off one switch.
So if you have term 1 black with red sleeve, red to 2nd light and brown to 1st light. Followed by Term 2 Three 'reds' Followed by Term 3 Three 'blacks' (neutrals) and blue from 1st light. then it clarifies the position.
Hope this helps
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back