Ceiling spotlight faulty but works when not in its housing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some celing spotlights in my bathroom and I have had problems with one of them.

I have tried a new transformer and also swapping the bulbs but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

If I take out the bulb clip and let the bulb hang from the ceiling so that it is not touching anything then it works fine. But as soon as I put it into the ceiling bulb housing it does not work - it seems as if touching the bulb housing is causing it to fail !

This seems a bit weird. Do these need to be earthed or something ? I have seen on another one that the earth lead does not seem to be connected to anything.

thanks for any advice.

Dom

Sponsored Links
On what you have said, I'd put my shilling on the fault being within the wiring of the bulb holder and the actual fitting. When it is hanging loose, there is tension on the wire and it is being pulled tight against its connections, when you push it into the fitting, the wire is having to curl and twist to allow the bulb and holder to be correctly positioned. Depending on exactly what you have, it could be mean anything from a new fitting to a small rewiring of the holder.

_dom_ said:
Do these need to be earthed or something ? I have seen on another one that the earth lead does not seem to be connected to anything.
As you mention a transformer, I'm guessing these are ELV lights (12Volts type system). The chances are that you have class 2 equipment that does not need an earth at the fitting. I take it that the unconnected earth you refer to is from the main supply cable to the transformer, if so, then it would be usual for this earth to be left unconnected (tho protected) where that cable joins the ELV lighting system. (Were this unconnected earth from a fitting or appliance other than I've just desrcibed, then it would, most definitely, need connecting).

oh, cool - I will check the holder and compare it to one that works.

does it matter which wire goes into the transformer ? I am using a terminal block for the 2 wires and connectint the mains at one end and the transfomer at the other

_dom_ said:
does it matter which wire goes into the transformer ? I am using a terminal block for the 2 wires and connectint the mains at one end and the transfomer at the other
:?: :?:

Sorry, I don't understand - which wire out of what possible selections are you talking about?

Sponsored Links
didthathurt said:
_dom_ said:
:?: :?:

Sorry, I don't understand - which wire out of what possible selections are you talking about?

i meant the 2 wires from the mains that connect to the 2 wires from teh transformer.

I think I have fixed it thanks to you.

the existing terminal block looked like it had melted or something :eek:

so i put a new one in and it seems oK now.

cheers for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back