central heating and overflow pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, one of my overflow pipes is leaking, but only seems to do it in the mornings. I have checked the loft tanks and the water level is about 2 inches below the outlet for the overflow. I have recently had problems with the central heating system which are as yet un-resolved I have replaced the three way valve and pump and performed a chemical flush twice, but only get hot water for about a day and heating still won't work. are the problems likely to be connected, and can anybody help please. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Couple of suggestions/statements:

a) What pipe is "leaking"?
b) Have you checked the tanks when the water is overflowing?
c) Why have you changed all them components? Each one is easy enough to test - If you want support diagnosing it - Be more specific - System/boiler type; actual fault, etc

Sounds like it could be the cold water storage tank for your hot water. It could be filling up overnight when no hot water is being used then as hot is used during the day the level is kept down.

You need to check the tanks first thing in the morning when it is dripping.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a potterton prima f . I changed the pump and valve because i was advised that i may have sludge in the system and a chemical flush might help but i could'nt get the chemicals to circulate. the guy at the plumbing shop said that if i could'nt turn the spindle on the valve with my fingers it was probably ceased and the pump used to make loud noises when the system worked so i changed it while i had the system drained.
Is there a set routine for re-filling the system so as to reduce the amount of air. I have bled all of the rads and the water heats for about an hour then stops and boiler trips. The heating won't work at all and i cant get any more air out of the system. Also am i supposed to let the air out of the vent next to the valve and pump? The heating and water have both been switched off for the last couple of days but the overflow pipe still has a fast trickle every morning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back