ceramic hob installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there a ceramic hob available that can be plugged into the standard ring main without running a new cable?

Sponsored Links
what about one rated at 20A - couldn't you put a 3 pin plug on it?

Sponsored Links
what about hard wiring to a wall switch which then connects to the ring main?

by the diversity guidelines

10+(20-10)*0.3=13A

so according to the diversity guidelines you could put a 20A hob on a plug i doubt its a good idea though ;)

ok this is what i am trying to do - i am converting my integral garage to a kitchen and the garage is already on the ring main.

I am trying to avoid moving the 32A rated cable from the existing kitchen across to the garage/new kitchen.

I thought if you could buy a separate ceramic hob and oven that were rated low enough you could get away with wiring then to the existing ring main.

The oven is rated at 13A and I haven't bought a hob yet.....

dont forget that the cooker will not be the only load on the ring

20A cookwe+13A oven=33A. which 32A ring is going to supply these? plus the 10A kettle, 5A toaster, 8A washing maching. I'm guessing, but you get the idea. That is why the cooker has its own supply in the first place.

what about the "diversity guidelines?"

I thought you didn't just add the max rating of each appliance together???

diversity should be taken into consideration, but how are you going to connect a 20A cooker via a 13A fuse (in an fcu / plug top) being a cooker you may have all "rings" on at the same time. and that only leaves 12A for everthing else.

It is a guideline that kitchens have their own ring, because of the power demand

Going to the expense of a new kitchen - do it properly. I bet the CU isn't far away?? Probably in the garage?? :D

socks1 said:
what about the "diversity guidelines?"

I thought you didn't just add the max rating of each appliance together???
Diversity is used to come up with a reasonable estimate of the total load for an entire installation. It is, clearly, also implicitly assumed with socket circuits as soon as you get more than 3 outlets.

Personally I am uncomfortable with the idea of using the diversity rules on individual cooker circuits, as you invariably end up with a situation where you could be running it at or just above the rating of the MCB for significant periods of time, which will do it no good.

socks1 said:
ok this is what i am trying to do - i am converting my integral garage to a kitchen and the garage is already on the ring main.
Make that a separate ring, then that'll do nicely for the kitchen ring.

I am trying to avoid moving the 32A rated cable from the existing kitchen across to the garage/new kitchen.
I understand, but you shouldn't compromise a design because you want to avoid work in moving/routing cables.

I thought if you could buy a separate ceramic hob and oven that were rated low enough you could get away with wiring then to the existing ring main.
I very much doubt it. Oven, yes, but hobs have to supply a certain amount of energy into the pans you're heating or they just won't work well enough, and that amount is considerably more than 3kW - that's typically about the power of one of the large rings...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back