Change 2 Gang kitchen socket to 4 gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

In a small flat kitchen, there is a corner where all the worktop appliances sit:
Air fryer
Kettle
Toaster
Multi cooker.

There is currently a 2 gang socket, directly below the consumer unit.

Is it possible to swap this to a 4 gang faceplate with back box?

More importantly, is it safe?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20240922-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240922-WA0007.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
No.

It will need looking at to see if it is suitable, but you can probably just put another double next to it.

If I was to do this, is it better to just spur it of the original, or ring it (which would need an extension to the original) with a in line terminal connection.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that socket might be fed from the CU above as a radial. what does the cct markings on the cu say
I checked this the other day, after you mentioned it. There is a kitchen red, that knocks out the 2 kitchen sockets.

There is a separate red for the cooker/ microwave sockets.

The strange thing i found is, i was checking with a bosch cable finder, and I couldn't find the source anywhere around.

P.s. I tested it with other sockets in the kitchen

There are no 4 gang sockets, other than dubious converter affairs which are limited to 13A total.
What a pity it is that devices, such as these, seem not to exist for UK Socket-Outlets, to turn two outlets into four on the same Box.

Such converter sockets do exist in the UK, but.

1. Nearly every "converter socket" i've seen in the UK looks and feels "cheap and nasty", despite costing substantially more than ordinary sockets. The one exception I've seen is a 1-2 gang converter by Schneider.
2. BS1363 requires 3+ gang sockets to either be tested at 32A total load, or to incorporate a 13A fuse. In practice every manufacturer I've seen adopts the latter option. In some situations this is a non-issue but in a kitchen it's really not desirable.

What a pity it is that devices, such as these, seem not to exist for UK Socket-Outlets, to turn two outlets into four on the same Box.

Such converter sockets do exist in the UK, but.

1. Nearly every "converter socket" i've seen in the UK looks and feels "cheap and nasty", despite costing substantially more than ordinary sockets. The one exception I've seen is a 1-2 gang converter by Schneider.
2. BS1363 requires 3+ gang sockets to either be tested at 32A total load, or to incorporate a 13A fuse. In practice every manufacturer I've seen adopts the latter option. In some situations this is a non-issue but in a kitchen it's really not desirable.
So I think that type was used previously, I think it melted due to the airfreight, kettle and toaster being on at the same time.

That's why the need for change is needed. Right now the plugs are continuously switched.

I took off the socket below the CU. It's definitely a ring. Quite old, given the red and black wire.

I also worked out why the detector didnt pick it up. The back box is set quite deep. Also the wall seems to be made of something really thin.

My thinking is, take out one of the connections, extend the wire for a ring, then use this Lap backbox (which should be indiscrimate of depth and the thickness of the wall) to add a second 2 gang about an inch apart from the original.

I might also add a single spur off the new 2 gang for the occasional appliances.
1000120631.jpg

You can get twin double boxes ie which nicely put the two sockets perfectly in line

looks like rexel electrical stock them and there are branches in Manchester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back