Changing from ceiling rose to modern fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to fit a new ceiling light but the current fitting does not match with my new fixture. I am not sure how to connect it or if I need to buy connectors.

This is the wiring and this is the fitting I'm trying to attach to.

Any help appreciated cheers!
IMG20240927123104.jpg

Attachments

• 1000057979.jpg
    1000057979.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 10
Sponsored Links
Fortunately for you, one of the cables contains two red wires, so that should be the cable that goes to the light switch. Then the other two would be the LNE supply in and LNE out to the next light.

Ideally you should have checked or taken a photo before disconnecting the wires to know for sure, but here's a typical before and after diagram of how it should have been, but you should check first to be sure. You will see that for the cable with the two red wires in, one goes to the switched live (S/L) and the other to the main live terminal with the red wires from the other two cables.

You will have to supply the screw terminals to replace those that were in the ceiling rose. If there's not enough room inside the new fitting for the terminals, or it can't be done there safely, then the three cables should be connected as shown using a junction box located in the ceiling above the fitting and just the L N and SL wires extended through the ceiling into the light. If the junction box is inaccessible, then a 'Maintenance Free Junction Box' should be used.

111.jpg

If the new fitting also requires an earth connection as your photo suggests, simply connect it to the earth terminal with the others.

Sponsored Links
I did take a before photo also.

So do I just need to buy one of these, cut it accordingly and connect as your diagram show?

In terms of the earth cables, there is an earth from the new fitting into the junction box supplied. Should the earths go there alone with the two others as shown in your photo?

I could then buy this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/essentials-3a-12-terminal-strips-10-pack/25545?ref=SFAppShare

And cut/use electrical tape to separate?

Thanks for your help!

That's all good then in terms of the wires and where they go.

All of the earth wires terminate together.

Not totally sure what you mean by "And cut/use electrical tape to separate". You can leave the terminals connected together if there's room to do so, but often there isn't. Ideally there shouldn't be any of the metal conductors exposed outside of the plastic terminals to touch anything and the screws are well recessed inside the plastic, but it you want to wrap them in tape for extra insulation you can.

Not always obvious but essentially the ceiling rose contains 4 brass connectors as indicated in Stems drawing, hopefullu marginally clearer in this;
1727442352403.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back