Changing the foul water route with an extension project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the verge of getting a house (or my other half is anyhow). It's a small semi, but with enough space for a decent sized extension. The plan is to extend to the side, the existing foul waste routes from the rear around the side and off at an angle to a newish sewage treatment plant(STP). The neighbouring semi's foul waste connects into ours at the rear (we will share our STP with next door - for now anyhow).
From what I can see, the bathroom sink/baths/showers and kitchen waste in both houses all feed into the foul waste. Neither house has seen a significant refurb in quite a while, so in our half we'll be gutting and refitting the interior (me doing the straightforward stuff as I'm no tradesman), replacing existing bathroom, adding another toilet /shower downstairs amongst other stuff.
At the rear there is a conservatory and in that floor is a manhole with big holes in it, by the smell it's for the foul waste. My questions:
- The foul waste pipes in the manhole look very shallow - no more that a foot to the base of the gully - is there a regulation about how deep they should be?
- If the foul waste needs to be deeper, would that mean replacement of next door's foul waste pipework as well?
- from reading around this forum it looks like you sometimes need to get permission to reroute sewage pipework, but does that only apply where foul waste feeds into public sewers?
- the STP apparently seems to cope with all the grey waste water it's taking (it's not a big volume tbf, and it's just had a service and the report looks fine) - anyone have long term experience with these?

1728049275016.png

t

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back