Cheapo Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I think i know what the answer will be to this question but here goes anyways..

Just bought a shower kit from ebay yes it was cheap

link here

Its arrived and it seems a bit bare in terms of fitting instructions, and brackets etc. The overall quality seems good, its quite heavy and well finished.

Im just having second thoughts now, as im going to seal this all up in a cavity wall tile etc. Will this last 5+years? Is it going leak in 6 months?

Should i have spent more!!!

Your opinions please lads!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
At that price, you probably are getting what you paid for!
Admittedly, bathroom brassware is often over-priced but this seems 'too good to be true'.

Be very sure that it has non-return valves on the hot and cold - if not, you MUST put in external ones. Also, given that it's the embedded type, make sure that ALL the joints are good before you seal up the wall! Be prepared to be disappointed with the temperature control. Not clear whether it makes any attempt at thermostatic control. You may need to arrange that the incoming Hot & Cold water pressures are close to identical - a pressure-balancing valve will do that.

IMHO, embedded valves are sometimes not a good DIY proposition, especially if there's no access from behind the wall.

Make sure you anchor the shower head to the wall using a wall plate connector with 3 fixings preferably onto a sheet of marine plywood.
These are usually v heavy and the principle of archimedes means all the strain is taken by this joint so ensure plenty of ptfe tape too and a tight fit.

Pete

Thanks guys for the quick response!!

I think your right, i am going to pay more and get a hudson reed thermostatic valve and a buy a seperate arm and head.

With thermo valve will i still need the non return valves? Is there any harm in adding these anyway?

Ive done a few bathrooms before, so im quite confident with the pipework and i will run the shower for a few days before sealing up the wall. The shower enclosure is small so i need as much space as possible.

Thanks for the tip with the ply, i have a few offcuts from my new floor so ill remember your advice when fitting the arm

Sponsored Links
I've been very annoyed with shower mixers that are plastered into the wall and tiled over. Sooner or later, things go wrong, and it's a pain to wreck your bathroom to hack it out.

I really prefer surface-mounted mixers, and preferably with surface piping too.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Ive been reading old posts and getting a little concerned about water pressure.

I have a combi boiler with 15mm pipes running to the new shower site.

Will i need pressure reducing valve even though I have a thermostatic valve.

How do i know if one has already been installed somwhere else in the system?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back