Chimney Breast Support between Ground & First Floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a survey back on a property where the chimney breast was taken out of the ground floor only and he can't see what is helping in terms of support on first floor. Just wondering what could possibly help support chimney breast at the moment and what usually is the support required between ground and first, is it any different to the loft?
The chimney I can only tell that it goes just slightly above the floorboards on the first floor, so does not look like it has gallows bracket. Find it strange anyone would do this and not put in any support and only way I can look into this is by taking out the plaster.

In terms of paperwork, cant see any building regs. This probably was done number of years ago i.e 15-20 years ago.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Had a survey back on a property where the chimney breast was taken out of the ground floor only and he can't see what is helping in terms of support on first floor. Just wondering what could possibly help support chimney breast at the moment and what usually is the support required between ground and first, is it any different to the loft?
The chimney I can only tell that it goes just slightly above the floorboards on the first floor, so does not look like it has gallows bracket. Find it strange anyone would do this and not put in any support and only way I can look into this is by taking out the plaster.

In terms of paperwork, cant see any building regs. This probably was done number of years ago i.e 15-20 years ago.
Perhaps the masonry is relying on the floor joists for support?

We took the chimney breast out of our kitchen in about 2000/2001. Just left the rest of it hanging. In around 2005 there was a storm that blew a few tiles off our roof but completely destroyed the roofing underfelt (it was a waxy, brittle paper type of material) and the insurance company paid for the roof to be stripped off, refelted and battened, keeping the original tiles. While that was being done we removed the chimney stack through the loft as well as the chimney breast from the roof and we had that tiled over with reclaimed tiles to match the rest of the roof. All we have left now is the breast on the first floor landing which has been handy to run gas and heating pipes up to the boiler in the loft as well as various cables. It’s not moved at all, just hung happily in place.

A steel could be there but as you have no paperwork assume it's not supported and adjust your offer accordingly.

Sponsored Links
It’s not moved at all, just hung happily in place.
For the most part, a heck of a lot of chimney breasts would happily do the same. On the odd occasion (regards semi's or terraced), some chimney masonry is 'paired' with the neighbours chimney. Ok usually if you remove one of the sections - on one side only. Remove a pair on the same floor, or if one neighbour removes his completely (top to bottom) - and it could get interesting.

For the most part, a heck of a lot of chimney breasts would happily do the same. On the odd occasion (regards semi's or terraced), some chimney masonry is 'paired' with the neighbours chimney. Ok usually if you remove one of the sections - on one side only. Remove a pair on the same floor, or if one neighbour removes his completely (top to bottom) - and it could get interesting.
Ours goes up the middle of the house and was originally for a floor mounted boiler in the kitchen. It was lined with an asbestos flue and not as big as a normal chimney. This is all we have left of it.

IMG_6519.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back