Chimney Cowl to use with a gas fire (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Valor Visage Gas fire and looking to replace the chimney cowl due it being corroded and rain coming down the chimney washing the soot down. I'm confused about the UFO cowl if it can be used with Gas, i've been told it can't be used by one supplier but have seen it advertised on the web usable with gas. can anyone clear this confusion up for me.

Have attached the following photos if it helps.
Valor Visage Gas fire.
Chimney pot to be fitted to.
UFO Cowl.

Thank you

Attachments

• Valor Visage.png
    Valor Visage.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 23.24.15.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 23.24.15.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 23.26.02.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 23.26.02.png
    244 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
hi noseal, it's not lined, was told when it was fitted it didn't need to be lined unless the law has changed since I had it installed a few years ago.

I have a low power (7Kw) Airflame gas fire. It has no liner and it was fitted with a cowl very similar to what you are suggesting although seemingly with more exhaust area. It has been inspected by a gas safe engineer and no adverse comments. Ask your supplier what's supposed to be wrong with that cowl and ask for documentation that says it cannot be used.

Attachments

• P1180086s.JPG
    P1180086s.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 7
Sponsored Links
There shouldn't ever be any issue with soot from a gas fire. If the fireplace and chimney had been used previously as an solid fuel open fire and the chimney could be coated in soot then before the fire was installed it should have been inspected and at least swept, otherwise it could be a real fire hazard.

That being said, as it's gas related then it needs to be your GSR engineer/chimney pro that should be able to advise whether a certain terminal is suitable or not for a gas fire, it needs to have certain dimensions etc. We aren't allowed to advise re gas on the open forums.

OP,
How certain can you be that the only cause of water entering the flue, or the stack brickwork, is a failing metal cowl?
Water staining is showing on the outside of the stack which suggests that the flaunching has perished as well as the in-place cowl?
Your other chimney pot is open. Is the fireplace & flue to that pot still in use?
Have you been in the loft & examined the loft chimney breast for water stains?

The best cowls are made from Terracotta, and its best practice to tie the gas appliance to the cowl with a SS Flex liner. The long lasting Terracotta cowl can be dropped into a secure chimney pot.
Flex liners make for a more efficient & safe flue.
Appliance Mfr's instructions typically have the last word ref use of Flex liners.

OP, your best bet would be to post some Pics showing the pot & flaunching on the top of the stack?
It would be in your neighbour's shared stack interest as well.

Last edited:

Says its suitable here.

What actual pot on the chimney is your fires ?

Get it checked by a gas safe engineer with the relevant gas fire qualification.

At a minimum I would expect him to remove the fire, inspect/clean out the catchment space, carry out a flue test and advise you accordingly.

The issue with soot washing down suggests to me that degraded flaunching is more likely to be the cause - you'll probably need a roofer to get up there and inspect. (Drone pics might be an alternative)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back