City Fibre install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am with talktalk and they are saying that city fibre will be "upgrading" my broadband to full fibre for free but so far as I am aware only open reach operate in my area, how is it going to work--there is a virgin media duct and covered access plate outside my property in the ground in the street and an open reach pole across the road with full fibre on it to which my current copper cable is attached. Where does city fibre fit in with all of this.

Also can I skip it all and carry on with my copper cable or is it all going to be turned off as I read it is - or as with all of these scare mongering things going to be extended in the end.

Sponsored Links
Ok I see. Thanks.
Isn't it all getting messy, it was BT then split to Open reach then Talk talk use open reach infrastructure then talk talk do a deal with city fibre to take over open reach infrastructure --- eh.
So are city fibre piggybacking open reach and so can only ever go to 150mbs

City are actually using their own infrastructure but they’re allowed to use Openreach poles, ducts etc.

Sponsored Links
So I have pole across the street with openreach fibre on the top. so will city fibre put their own cable from down the street somewhere all the way down the street then up to the pole then across to me or just use the open reach infrastructure at the op of the plole

, it was BT then split to Open reach

Openreach is a wholly owned subsidiary division of BT. It also provides services to other companies.

For a while, Openreach workers had to pretend they were not part of BT.

Openreach Limited are a separate company from BT Retail, but are wholly owned by BT Group PLC. The equality of access to services agreement that Openreach has with Ofcom required them to treat all organisations purchasing services from them the same. That includes BT retail. How well this is policed I have no idea, but it is a big risk for BT Group to breach it as that runs the risk of the losing Openreach entirely.

So Openreach employees can truthfully say that they don't work for (the part of) BT (Group) from which the customer purchases services.

Increasingly, Openreach subs out the actual work on the ground to independent sub-contractors - as can be seen from the varying livery of the vans they turn up in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back