Cladding exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have an external utility with a pretty drab looking wall that faces out into the garden. It's a brick wall that has been recently rendered. I've been thinking about cladding it with roof battens - attaching some battens horizontally, and then adding the cladding horizontally with a gap between them so there should be airflow down behind it. I then plan to hang plants off the cladding.

Is there anything i'm missing? Should I be putting in a membrane? I'm thinking given there are going to be plants that will need watered, should I at least waterproof the render before installing the cladding?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be good practice (and little expense) to use a breathable membrane on the face of the render. When you have horizontal cladding, you fit the battens vertically. If the plants or whatever is hanging off the cladding is heavy then your battens will need to allow for this.

Sorry, you're right. I misspoke before - the battens will be attached vertical, then the cladding will be horizontal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back