Cleaning a CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a recent boiler service it was confirmed that I had kettling. It is a 15 year old Ideal Standard boiler, 2 motorised valves, header tank and 9 rads. It was suggested that a powerflush might be too much for this ageing system.My intention is to drain, refill with F3 and run for 2 days, drain again and twice refill and run before draining again and refilling with F1.
Assuming that protocol is acceptable. Can someone please advise if F3 500ml (which they say is sufficient for up to 16 rads) would be too powerful for only 9. I don't want to have any leaks.
Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

Sponsored Links
It was suggested that a powerflush might be too much for this ageing system
Who told you that rubbish? If the system was 40years old then maybe but 15, certainly shouldn't be.

500ml of F3 should be fine for 9 rads and the boiler. How bad is the system water?

I've not seen the condition of the system water yet, until I drain it for the F3 introduction. The kettling is not that bad, but hasn't been cleaned or protected for years and my only concern was the over concentration of the cleaner and whether 2 days was enough.

Sponsored Links
sentinel x 200 will get rid of your kettling no need to drain clean etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back