Cleaning a system (which cleaner)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of questions on flushing and using the cleaners for sludge removal.

1) X800 is the fast acting one and you can clean after a few hours I think. But is it better to use X400 ? I understand you need to run the heating for a few weeks before flushing. Is this product kinder to the pipe work though ?

Currently I think I could run my heating for 2 weeks and have it on for 1h per day as it is still not that warm.

2) Is it best to open the lock shield valves to allow the water to drain better, so helping to allow the sludge to move easier through the pipes. I would need to rebalance after, but it isn't that big of an issue for me. I would have the thermo valves fully open.

3) I saw a utube guy drain the inhibitor from his system before he added X800. Is it better to clean a system without inhibitor or does it make no difference ? Time is not that big of an issue for me.

Sponsored Links
The problem I think with adding either 400 or 800 is that it can upset the cart with the apple's

Definitely if you have a combi. It can mobilise debris that can form somewhere else in the system.

Powerflushing for me is far better if your system can take it.

Have you gotva magnetic filter?

Yes got the magna clean pro 2. My system is not that bad, but I ve got 2 rads with colder spots lower down so I think these will need sorting out. I flushed them with a hose pipe before they went in as well. They were second hand, but good condition.

Yes got the magna clean pro 2. My system is not that bad, but I ve got 2 rads with colder spots lower down so I think these will need sorting out. I flushed them with a hose pipe before they went in as well. They were second hand, but good condition.
The magnet will help. I'd go for the 400 over a period of time.

Sponsored Links
1) X800 is the fast acting one and you can clean after a few hours I think. But is it better to use X400 ? I understand you need to run the heating for a few weeks before flushing. Is this product kinder to the pipe work though ?
Depends on how bad the system is and how quickly it's to be cleaned - X800 usually used by pro's that want the system cleaned and back to working within a day or 2 - X400 for a system that isn't too bad and can be circulated over a week or 2 and then flushed - good for new boiler sys preps too etc

2) Is it best to open the lock shield valves to allow the water to drain better, so helping to allow the sludge to move easier through the pipes. I would need to rebalance after, but it isn't that big of an issue for me. I would have the thermo valves fully open.
run all rads fully open - x400 will bring the sludge up into solution so it can be flushed and drained out clean - depending on how bad rads are they may need agitated or even removed and manually flushed.

Is it better to clean a system without inhibitor or does it make no difference
Doesn't makes any difference IME.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back