Clutch is on the way out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got my van booked in for 24th next week and 19th to have clutch replaced. Prefer the 25th as cheaper more trustworthy guys but my van can barely make it up hills and it's giving off a burning smell getting desperate.

I need it to get around but don't wanna mess up my car anymore by revving too much. It's ok in on flats.. shall I just stop using it full stop? I might be able to bike it

Sponsored Links
Drive the van as you will - but prevent the clutch from slipping as much as you can.
Use a lower gear on hills
Don't accelerate hard
Engage the clutch before putting the power on
Reduce the weight of the vehicle!
John :)

Drive like you are on ice! Go very light on the throttle and build up speed gradually.

Drive the van as you will - but prevent the clutch from slipping as much as you can.
Use a lower gear on hills
Don't accelerate hard
Engage the clutch before putting the power on
Reduce the weight of the vehicle!
Can I damage anything else other than clutch by continuing to use it?

Sponsored Links
Can I damage anything else other than clutch by continuing to use it?
No, but if you continue, you will get to a state where the van won't move at all, even on the flat.

As you can currently
barely make it up hills
then it's time to stop driving while the vehicle can still be moved on it's own - otherwise you could end up with having to pay for towing to the clutch replacement place.

So they changed the clutch then found a leak in pipe in the housing. Changed that but water in the expansion tank keeps dropping. Also there's black foamy gunk in there for cooling and they think someone has added additive like stop leak or is it oil? The water level dropped in the header tank while I worked came back at 2pm and nothing in there. Topped up again and hour later water had dropped again a bit.

Young mechanics. Should I go elsewhere? To my old trusty mechanic.

It's in the mechanics now checking for a leak.

He's asking about the cam belt and water pump.

On another note, I've done 123,000 miles on peugeot expert van 2 litre. Should the cam belt have been changed? I'll check service history to see if previous owner before 2017 changed it. 2013 van

20240725_073852.jpg
20240725_082007.jpg
20240725_082000.jpg

I think you need to be gentle with us here......
Are we looking at part of a liquid cooled EGR system? That could explain black gunge in the header tank.
As for the Peugeot van, if the timing belt has that sort of mileage, it is on borrowed time for sure!

I think you need to be gentle with us here......
Are we looking at part of a liquid cooled EGR system? That could explain black gunge in the header tank.
As for the Peugeot van, if the timing belt has that sort of mileage, it is on borrowed time for sure!

So probably get the cam belt changed? I haven't done it since 2017. I'll check if previous owner did it in old service records if I've got them. Reckon just get it done anyhow even if last owner didn't do it?

Mileage is 123,000

I'm off to pick it up. They're saying water hasn't dropped this time in expansion tank. They did a test on the headgasket and there was some yellowish in it but it was inconclusive that headgasket was definitely leaking.

I dunno if it's a liquid cooled egr system.. it's a 2litre peugeot expert 2013. I can dm you the reg if u want?

I haven't got the money to buy a newish van only £1000 left in bank Account.

Last edited:
To be honest with you, I can’t actually identify those parts but maybe it’s part of the EGR system or maybe an oil cooler.
John

Sponsored Links
Back