Cold bedroom (above garage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice. We moved into a new house end of last year, and found that the 1st floor is freezing in winter. In particular the bedroom wall and floor on the roof side.

I assume it is due to the roof? Rather than the garage. Can anyone provide advice on avoiding reducing the coldness? We have carpets in bedroom and it measures 5m x 2.7m we have one double panel radiator (very old but is 1.4m long x 60cm high).

the main bedroom is to the side of the “dormer” and above the garage door.

I was thinking to lift floorboards and put some insulation down under but no idea if it helps or causes more problems.

or is it a case of adding more radiators? Which will probably be very expensive…

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
I suspect you don’t have much insulation in the roof section of the home. I.e most of your 1st floor.

Depending on the internal layout it may be easier to loose 100mm of each room by replaster boarding with insulated plaster board.

If one wall is colder than the others then it is losing more heat to the outside and you should be looking at insulating it first.

Its a bit more complicated with ceilings and floors, ceilings are always warmer and floors are always colder.

Replacing the radiator should be your first step. Its the easiest task and if it really is an old one then a more modern radiator will be much more effective. Grab a photo and attach it, the heating experts will be able to confirm that replacement will make a difference.

Under floor insulation is a good thing. Its a lot of hard work to do it though. The cheapest option is to staple some netting between the joists and fill them with 200mm of rockwool. The netting is to stop it all falling though in case you ever do something with the ceiling downstairs.

Sponsored Links
We have a 5.8m x 3.1m bedroom over an unheated garage.

It was f.f.f.freezing.

We made the flat roof a warm roof and put insulation under the floor. It's much better now.

Back