Combi boilers ans switched FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been looking around at combi boilers of late and have stumbked across something that i need answering.

for example a combi boiler on B&Q's web site states that it is 21KW. Now to me that seems quite high. I then thought that you would need to get power to this and that way could be by spuring off the ring main into a switched fused connection unit. That is when i frowned.

My calculations indicate you needing a high amp. it works at around 87.5 amps. Is this the correct way to do it as that seems rather high to me.

Sponsored Links
Can I have some of what you're on, please....

PS - my boiler is 28kW - doesn't seem like too much to me.

Ban, c'mon that was only a point that you've made in relation to a point that i've made in my post. You haven't advised on the core of the thread which was the issue of the SFCU and the amp required.

Your 28kw 28,000/240 = 116 Amps. How is that wired up then, i am not aware that they do fuses with amp ratings that high. !!!

Think outside the box you have put yourself in, watts are a measure of energy transfer, not specifically a measure of electrical energy transfer

Sponsored Links
ok so can you teach me how to calculate this aspect?

the electrical power draw is negligable (control systems only) and will be satisfied by a 3A fuse

the 21KW refers to the heat output of the boiler itself and is supplied by the boilers main power source (gas i presume in this case)

andemz said:
Ban, c'mon that was only a point that you've made in relation to a point that i've made in my post. You haven't advised on the core of the thread which was the issue of the SFCU and the amp required.

Your 28kw 28,000/240 = 116 Amps. How is that wired up then, i am not aware that they do fuses with amp ratings that high. !!!
And I'm not aware that they do electric combi boilers.

Like yours, mine is a GAS boiler with an output of approx 28kW.

FFS....
duh.gif

PS - you're supposed to use 230V in calculations like that....

im not sure an electric comi boiler is paractical

afaict gas combi boulers have two seperate sets of pipes heated by the same flame system

No plug it's not an electric combi boiler. I was getting confused when it was stating large KW as energy transfer not thinking that this didn't mean electrical energy transfer.

It is a Gas bolier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back