Command Strips, bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my bathroom renovated, my fitter did an amazing job. My wife wants a bathroom mirror hung on the wall (plastic wall panels). I'm reluctant to drill into this new beautiful pristine wall, this is the daft idea?? use Command wall strips. The mirror is 2.6 kg, the strips hold far in excess of this at 7.0 kg. Don't know if I can take the rise of the strips failing, mirror smashing and doing damage to the bathroom wall or floor.

Your opinions gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have friends that swear by them for picture frames.
In a bathroom though? with all that moisture and humidity?

Perhaps a tape will give more surface area? Gorilla do a mounting tape suitable for outdoor use.

Cleaning the tiles and using silicone then supporting it for 24-48 hrs may be better than command strips, my wife & daughter use them a lot and although they can stick stuff up for this you'd need an awful lot of them and I wouldn't be surprised to hear a crash in the middle of the night.

I use mammoth tape to stick stuff onto panel doors at work, we consider it a once stuck it aint coming off solution (it can do though with heat and a scraper).

Sponsored Links
Drill it. Drill through masking tape to prevent skating, use a sharp tile bit. Also use masking tape and polythene to cover anything below within a reasonable width, sometimes the grot that comes out of a hole won't remove from silicone and grout, especially if it's fairly fresh.

I often use a combination of grab adhesives and a hot melt glue gun.

The hot melt glue locks the item in place whilst the grab adhesive is curing. It means that items can be removed from tiles without damaging them, but your plastic panels are way softer.

Plastic Shower Panels?

How much sunlight do they get? Are such UV light stabilised? If they are not UV light proof then definitely DON'T stick - drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back