Concrete floor transition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be putting in a new ground bearing concrete floor in the existing house but due to footings with tree proximity, the extension will have block & beam.

Floor make up will be concrete floor then insulation to match the height of block and beam insulation, finished with screed for UFH over the top of both.

What is the best way to transition this. I will be taking out the back house wall at one point, but thought if the new concrete is kept within the existing 4 walls.
Then when the time comes for the extension, the wall removed for the block and beam, it can extended on to internal cavity wall set at the same height of the concrete.
Insulation can be placed over the transition.

Is this the best way?
I imagine the screed could crack here, can you put an expansion gap in screed and is it wise too?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Set your solid concrete slab and floor beams so they are the same height.

You need them to be set down from your Finished Floor Level by: insulation thickness + unbonded screed + floor finish.

When you do the floor celetex, run it across the transition so it spans it.

Then use a decoupling mat before tiling

Thanks. Do you know if you need an expansion gap in screed gong through door thresholds with underfloor heating?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back