Concrete mix for floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help. I would like to level my concrete floor.

I will be using self leveling on the last 5mm but would like to get the rest at least a little even to start with.
I've knocked my garage and kicthen together, the kitchen floor is a little higher (25mm).
I would like to know the cement mix I should use for the floor.

Any quick responses would be great, as I'm supposed to be starting over the next few days.

Thanks,
Alisha. :?:

Sponsored Links
Since you have 25mm to make up, why bother with the self leveling stuff. Do the screeding properly and you shouldn't need to level it after. The mix you want is about 1:3 (1 part cement to 3 parts sharp sand).
Before you start, remove any loose stuff and seal your existing surface first with PVA.

If you don't trust your own judgement to get the thickness just right. You can screw some parallel battons down to the floor. Adjust these (by means of packing underneath) untill the top edges are at exactly the right height and level.

First of all, work out which end of the room you are going to work from. (Generally furthest wall from the door, so you can get out once you're finished.) Fit your battons running from this wall, back to the oposite end.

Mix the screed so that it is moist (not sloppy). Working on bands across the floor (no wider than your reach) . Spread your mix across the width of the floor. Tamp down, then use a feather edge (old skirting board does as a bodge) to level off. finally smooth over with a wooden float.

BTW. you may want to wear some of them foam knee pads.

PS. Don't just start it, finish it :) (it's only take a couple of hours)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back