Condensate pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a condensate pipe that needs replacing. It’s been cracked for a while but now the plastic is completely desintergrating. Im pretty confident I can do this myself, but just wanted to check here.
I guess the things I’d need is some replacement piping of the same diameter (enough to lead to the drain) a bend or 2 and brackets to attach to the wall.
I assume I won’t need to turn off the boiler, and not really using it in these summer months anyway.
One thing that looks like it could be problematic is the bend where the pipe exits the house. I don’t want to break anything inside the wall obviously but I’ll need to potentially join a new pipe to it and I don’t think it’s going to disconnect without some force or cutting. It’s likely also quite brittle.
Any suggestions on this or in general would be appreciated. I haven’t done this before so likely I’m missing something
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0581.jpeg
    IMG_0581.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
I'm afraid to say that condensate pipe hasn't been installed correctly. Any condensate exiting through a wall, to use an external drain, should be increased to the next available pipe size before it goes through the wall. This is to reduce the risk of freezing.

All that being said, only way that can be replaced is by cutting out the old and replacing it as it's all glued.

You are also wise to appreciate that too much manipulation could cause problems with the condensate run, not just in the wall but at any point right up to the boiler, as eventually it will be connected to the boilers combustion space. It may be prudent to have the run replaced by someone experienced with these systems.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, this is all very helpful. The sink is on the other side of the wall and sounds logical to connect there as we have indeed been having some freezing issues
But yes, starting to feel like I need a pro to assess.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back