Conduit - Does it need removing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, got a little more of my wall stripped at weekend, in readiness for my new staircase when I came across this :-

conduit.jpg

The two 1.5mm cables that go through the wall feed the Front and Dining Room light switches. Ignore the other cable knotted around it, I have just got that there keeping it out of the way.

As you all know I am going to be calling the LABC in soon, I just wondered if the conduit should be discarded or is it OK to leave as is ?

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
bad installation..
the cables for the room should be inside the room..
wiring from the hallway is a really easy way to put a nail through a cable.. although the conduit goes some way to stopping that except where it leaves it at the bottom.. lokks like there was a switch there that's been removed at some point..

this is why we have safe zones.. although i think that they extend to the rear of the wall.. ( please feel free to correct me folks.. )

Safe wiring zones are only replicated on the rear of the wall for walls less than 100mm thick. This was introduced to get over the 'drilling through a 4" noggin" scinario.

Sponsored Links
bad installation..
the cables for the room should be inside the room..
wiring from the hallway is a really easy way to put a nail through a cable.. although the conduit goes some way to stopping that except where it leaves it at the bottom.. lokks like there was a switch there that's been removed at some point..

I think this wiring is at least about 20-odd years old. I thought that maybe the original home-owner had re-wired himself and just used the same conduit that the old hessian type wires were in. In my travels around this old house, I've found odds and sodds bits of old dead wiring left in situ and they all appear to be the same as this I've just found, all in metal conduit.

I'm not looking forward to getting the Building Inspector in now :cry: What is the rest of the wiring going to be like ? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back