Conduit for cables in solid walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use plastic conduit or does it have to be metal?

Sponsored Links
if in a safe zone, no protection required. if not, it must be metal and earthed unless burried more than 50MM

150mm from a corner goin up the wall. also within 150mm vertical or horizonal from a sockets etc ( e.g u can have a cable run up the side of a wall aslong as itz within 150mm with no protection and up/down/accross a wall where there is a socket/light switch etc with no protection)

if u need to go out of these areas then it must be protected and the conduit earthed.

there are other posts with diagrams of this

Sponsored Links
Those are permitted zones Andrew, but topdog asked what is a safe zone. I don't think there are any. Even in the permitted zone you could hit a live with a screw and with no rcd it wouldn't be a safe zone.
You forgot the ceiling zone.

An RCD doesnt make something 'SAFE'

also within 150mm vertical or horizonal from a sockets etc

The permitted zone is above, below, left and right, the width of this zone created by the width of the accessory. 150mm means nothing in these zones.

Lectrician:
An RCD doesnt make something 'SAFE'
Yes your right, I should have said 'safer'.
Has anyone touched a live cable that was protected by a 30mA rcd? Do you feel a shock or does it disconnect so quick that you don't?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back