Conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to rewire an old house, and would like to know what the regulations are for protecting the power and light cables from the consumer unit to the upper floors. The house has dry lined walls so I am assuming I can run the cables in these but what kind of conduit (if any) should the cables be run inside ?

Can anyone recommend any books that would cover this kind of information for the relative novice ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The Which? book of Wiring & Lighting and the Collins encyclopaedia get good reviews, but I have no personal experience.

The IEE On-Site Guide and relevant Guidance Notes (can't remember which one(s))

The Electricians Guide to the 16th Edition - available from TLC, and viewable on-line here

BUT - I would also STRONGLY recommend that if you are a relative novice then maybe rewiring an entire house might be a bit challenging as a first project. It isn't rocket science but there's a lot more to it than just connecting cables. You may find that the time it will take you to learn all the things you need to know does not fit with the timescales for the job.

WorkInProgress said:
I am planning to rewire an old house, and would like to know what the regulations are for protecting the power and light cables from the consumer unit to the upper floors. The house has dry lined walls so I am assuming I can run the cables in these but what kind of conduit (if any) should the cables be run inside ?

Can anyone recommend any books that would cover this kind of information for the relative novice ?

thanks

Ban has a point about the task ahead if your a "relative novice" as you say. Firstly though, twin and Earth cables run inside dry lined walls do not need to be in conduit, however if the framework is metal then precautions need to be taken where cables pass through the metalwork to avoid damage to the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back