Connecting a new lamp to an old 3 way switch

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello everyone. Sorry, I've tried to check in the wiki but all the diagrams and images are not working and I couldn't find a solution to this. The old lamp was connected like this, and the new one I've got is a 3 arm light and it looks like it doesn't have an earth connection. Is it possible to connect it? And what should I do? Thanks

1000106668.jpg
1000106720.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, it can be done.
The single black on the left is what connects to the brown wires - it is essential that this black is NOT confused with the others, it should have a tape or some other marking on it.
The other two black wires connect to the blue wires
The three red need to be connected together but not to anything else.
The green/yellow sleeved wires are the earth.

However that light fitting is incomplete as there is no terminal block and the wires from the three arms are not connected together.
There is also no way it could possibly be a Class II item (no earth) even though it has a label on it stating that it is.
The fact they have supplied a random selection of unsuitable connectors makes it worse.

If you really must use that new light, it will require completion and modifications first.
In reality it's not fit for purpose and should be returned to wherever it came from.

I thought so, the lamp looks great and it was too cheap to be true. If I want to modify and complete the connection, could I simply buy something like the old connector (with earth) and try to adapt it to the lamp?

Sponsored Links
I thought so, the lamp looks great and it was too cheap to be true. If I want to modify and complete the connection, could I simply buy something like the old connector (with earth) and try to adapt it to the lamp?
There are plenty of lights that look exactly like yours but much more safer. Where was this purchased from?

There are plenty of lights that look exactly like yours but much more safer. Where was this purchased from?
View attachment 347663
With a single layer of insulation touching the edge of the metal tube the lamp is NOT double insulation,
Should I change the wiring for something with an extra layer of insulation?

Should I change the wiring for something with an extra layer of insulation?
If you can, that would be a good idea - or fit sleeving, which may be just as much "trouble" or more difficult.
However, the least that you should do is install an "Earth" connection and connect it to the Earth Conductor at the ceiling rose.

A suitably dimensioned "Ring Terminal" installed under one of the three "Lock Washers" would be a good idea.
The "Ring Terminal" should be
securely crimped or soldered to a Green/Yellow "sleeved" Earth wire (at least as long as the Line and Neutral wires)
and
this "Earth Conductor" then connected to the Earth Terminal at the ceiling rose.

While the wiring within the tubes should be "double insulated" (these days),
providing the "Earth" connection will cause the circuit breaker to operate
in the unlikely event that a fault, which causes the frame to become "energized", does occur !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back