Conservatory door replace glass with UPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I want to fit a cat flap to my conservatory door. I'm planning on replacing the glass with UPVC, within which I will cut out the required hole to fit the flap. I took the small bottom glass section out today and measured it with two tape measures and a steel ruler. The thickness was showing as 27mm. I was quite surprised to find when looking online that neither UPVC nor replacement glass come in 27mm - 28 seems to be the mark (26 is available but seems quite rare). I read a couple of people who had the same experience, but it was with UPVC and the explanation offered up was it might have shrunk. I can't see this piece of glass shrinking, and it seems tight with no play when replaced. The cat flap is around £20, the UPVC around £60 which I will have to cut for size. I don't want to buy a 28mm UPVC panel and find it won't go in - my two tape measures might be slightly out, but surely my steel ruler isn't? Admittedly my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I'm quite confident it's 27 - what am I to do?

Sponsored Links
It is probably 27.5mm ... 20mm spacer bar isn't actually 20mm , bizarrely it's 19.5mm... so yes you'll need a 28mm panel

On a side note a Microchip catflap would be the way to go in that department surely? So as to prevent any 'resentful local intruders'.

Sponsored Links
Just a note about microchip catflaps... they tend to go through batteries much faster than you'd like to hope

Not mine, probably a set of batteries every two years or something though we're down to one cat nowadays.

Last few we've fitted claim the batteries only lasted 6 months lol...good to hear some are lasting a lot longer

Thanks guys I thought it'd result in 28mm. Regards the cat thing I have 2 Russian Blues from the same litter, and they're lovely, but bloody vicious as a small pack when another cat crosses their territory! The only thing worries me is they like to eat a lot of birds ...

Well don't underestimate the absolute sheer calamity of when a cat not from your family unexpectedly decides to enter your house and cannot easily escape! :eek::ROFLMAO:

Our one can bring in a small bird/mouse through the flap but she's stumped when its a big bird or a big rat thank goodness as I don't think she can lift her head high enough (or does'nt have the brains) to set off the cat-flap sensor.

Last edited:
That's a decent point to be fair - the getting out bit. My two have had absolute merder with a couple of local cats - neighbours have even commented on the screaches waking them up in the night, and I've watched them on my CCTV - not pretty. I'd like to think they've marked their territory now but you have a point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back