Conservatory with a solid roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on building a lean to conservatory, I want to make side walls to be solid as there is no way i can do any maintenance if i were to use glass. As for the roof it would be a solid cold deck roof with 2 skylights. The front would have dwarf walls up to 600mm and the rest glass.

I don't plan open up the existing house so it would be separated. Would i need building control or not and is this approved as a conservatory?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like more of a lean to than a conservatory. No regs as such. Will you be heating the space?

The advice in this case is always the same. Spend the little bit extra and make a proper job of it, you already have to build a foundation, a dpc, brickwork, 'solid sides', a warm roof and a few windows, that's almost as much work as a full extension.

Even if you don't open it up to the house, it leaves you scope to be able to do so in the future.

Hi,

I'm planning on building a lean to conservatory, I want to make side walls to be solid as there is no way i can do any maintenance if i were to use glass. As for the roof it would be a solid cold deck roof with 2 skylights. The front would have dwarf walls up to 600mm and the rest glass.

I don't plan open up the existing house so it would be separated. Would i need building control or not and is this approved as a conservatory?

Thanks
you can send your local authority a drawing of what you propose and say "I just wanted to get confirmation this proposed structural will be exempt: it will substantially glazed, thermally separate from the house with separate heating controls

they can then tell you if they consider it exempt or not

the question might be the skylight size, but theres no criteria now for what constitutes a conservatory

as Deluks says, do it properly with regs and it will become a true extension and add value to the house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back