Construction Site Signage - minimum requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is absolute minimum legal requirement for signage on boundary of small private construction site? The site faces a public footpath lightly used by responsible adults - so risk of injury is very low, but risk of a local busy body kicking up a fuss if signage etc. less than legal requirement is high.

Edit 7 July - I should of clarified the question - The landowner is totally focused on aesthetics and will not permit standard heras or similar fencing and very strongly objects to absolutely ALL standard safety signage. So I have to create some bespoke aesthetically acceptable fencing with the absolute legally required minimum of safety signage. It is a small project, and not HSE notifiable, risk to public etc. is low

I have looked at HSE and related web sites, been through all the CDM aspects and can't see any definitive guidance on the legally required minimum of safety signage.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have a look at HSE

I'll add.

Safety gear to be worn sign
Emergency contact
Delivery contact
Fire assembly sign
No unauthorized access

Something like that.

I don't remember exactly but you need to cover yourself with HSE
Do you have more than 5 employees?
You need HSE no matter how many employees but over 5 the law demands you follow guide. Look that up. It's straight forward.
Just remember someone is responsible for health and safety on site..

Google site safety sign, you'll get the "standard" one for like £15/20.

I assume you have heras type fencing?

Sponsored Links
What is absolute minimum legal requirement for signage on boundary of small private construction site? The site faces a public footpath lightly used by responsible adults - so risk of injury is very low, but risk of a local busy body kicking up a fuss if signage etc. less than legal requirement is high.
We fenced ours off as well as using signs....

Sorry I should of clarified the question - please see my edit.
I'll add.

Safety gear to be worn sign
Emergency contact
Delivery contact
Fire assembly sign
No unauthorized access

Something like that.

I don't remember exactly but you need to cover yourself with HSE
Do you have more than 5 employees?
You need HSE no matter how many employees but over 5 the law demands you follow guide. Look that up. It's straight forward.
Just remember someone is responsible for health and safety on site..

I agree that would be a sensible approach

BUT if I used a normal sign with that content, the landowner would go completely berserk.

If I can demonstrate that the minimum legal requirement is something like below then she might accept one facing the footpath but only if it is small enough. Even so she will probably cover it when I am off site.

1720340368541.png

So any thoughts or any experience from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Clients should set the ground rules for health and safety even though their involvement in the project will not depend upon their own knowledge and experience of construction processes.
They can be up in court if anything happens

There are no actual rules on what must be displayed, but failure to provide sufficient warning (not necessarily signage) could be deemed negligent under common law if a person gets injured due to lack of warning - and this includes trespassers or unauthorised people entering the site.

There are no actual rules on what must be displayed, but failure to provide sufficient warning (not necessarily signage) could be deemed negligent under common law if a person gets injured due to lack of warning - and this includes trespassers or unauthorised people entering the site.
Thank you Woody - I've been looking at this from the wrong angle. Yes - the key thing is to provide sufficient warning and that warning can vary depending upon the risks posed by the current stage of construction. That gives me a much better line of argument with the land owner.

It's no wonder building is so expensive when everyone has to make the world idiot-proof.

I could understand it if digging a deep hole. But a garden wall?

Wouldn't a few road cones with a tape between be adequate?

I'm not clear if you are working for the landowner or it your land and it's a neighbour who is objecting (nearly said 'objectional').

I'm not clear if you are working for the landowner or it your land and it's a neighbour who is objecting (nearly said 'objectional').
I am purchasing the plot with disused barn from the current landowner, but due to the practicalities of the barn conversion the "site compound" will spill over onto the current owner's retained land and hence the temporary boundary fence will be on retained land - so I have got respect the landowner's wishes as far as I am legally permitted to do so.

It's no wonder building is so expensive when everyone has to make the world idiot-proof.

I could understand it if digging a deep hole. But a garden wall?

Wouldn't a few road cones with a tape between be adequate?
We opted for Heras fencing as it was a very busy area. And a long wall. Not only do you have to pay for the fencing, you also have to pay for the permit. I think the difference between the height of the footpath and the bottom of the trench was about 900mm - 1200mm. Plus it prevents theft and affords the owner a wee bit of security.

Oh, and I had to up my liability insurance (indemnity), so that jumped £700 too. :oops:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back