Converting fully decked garden back to grass/turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Putting in a bid on a house on Monday but one major issue with it is the garden is fully decked and looks to be coming to end of life. I have a couple of kids who spend all their time playing football in the garden so I need to do something with it as looks basically unsafe in it's current state.

I had a look online at just putting AstroTurf over the decking but read that it's a drainage nightmare and just leads to further rotting.

So basically what's involved in converting it back to a traditional garden? Is it "just" a matter of ripping out the decking and replanting grass? Id be moving in around October so not ideal for establishing a garden and suspect going down the turf route might be more feasible but I've no idea the extent of work or costs involved here

Sponsored Links
You won't know until you take up the deck and see what's under there. Could be beautiful soil, concrete, paving, gravel etc etc

Check out the lawnright guy on youtube. Once the ground is prepped you can grow grass from seed and have a useable lawn in 4 weeks. Turf will take just as long as the roots will need to gain a hold before the kids can play footie.

If you can keep them off it for 6 weeks and have prepped it well they could be playing at a Wembley lookalike!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back