Converting garage to living space help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Thanks in advance for help on this.

I am looking to convert my garage to living space in Cardiff, Wales. The garage runs the full length of the house and is made of single skin brick. The garage floor is 20cm lower than the house and the garage floor to ceiling is 220cm.
It has a concrete roof.
I want to brick up the garage door, insulate floor, install timber frame internal skin and increase the height of garage and install new roof.
My questions are:
-for bricking up the garage door- will there be foundations or will I need to dig and install foundations?
-can I increase the height of the garage by installing a few more layers of bricks? Say 3-4 more layers of bricks. Are building control generally okay with this?
I will need to increase the height of the garage otherwise there won’t be enough space when I insulate the floors.
-any ideas on how to remove the concrete roof?

Do building control generally allow the above or do they require knock down and rebuild from scratch?
Anything else you think I should be aware of?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9889.jpeg
    IMG_9889.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9883.jpeg
    IMG_9883.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
I fear that you will end up with rooms that aren’t very tall

I think you should consider raising the roof

Sponsored Links
-for bricking up the garage door- will there be foundations or will I need to dig and install foundations?
The first thing an SE or BC will want is a trial pit/hole digging, to look at suitability of foundations. I'd suggest digging the trial hole on the left hand side - end pier, so you can then see if they have allowed the garage foundation to cross below the door threshold. Unlikely, but they sometimes do it on modern site garages.

Have discussed this change of use with the local council Planning Department
It will become a planning issue if there are not three parking spaces (three bed house) on the existing drive. They regard a garage con' as losing a parking space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back