Converting single pipe to F & R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I am a competent DIYer, I have completed many projects, including plumbing. However I have never worked on central heating. I hope you can all see the attached image of my central heating system in my new house. This picture has taken me many lifted floorboards with my head down holes to achieve.
To be honest the whole system appears a nightmare, I have never seen such a tangle of pipes so poorly installed.
I intend to convert the system to a flow and return from a single pipe, i am guessing the conservatory rads are all ready plumbed this way, but i cannot confirm as i cannot lift the living room floor yet to see (wife would kill me).
My intention, and your advice would be greatfully recieved is to cap off the 22mm pipes where the green line is, and at each green circle install manifolds on both pipes to feed and return all my rads. This would be done gradually as and when i decorate, i appreciate the moment i cap off i will loose the majority of heating in the house until converted. Can anyone see a problem with this approach? Any advice greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links
You should do it after April when heating is not needed and do it in one fell swoop!

Better to do it in the conventional way rather than your manifold idea.

Tony

I get your thinking, sods law the snow will come back the day I start it. So essentially tee off the 22mm pipes for every rad yes?

Sponsored Links
If your bedroom rads are in series then switching off one will switch off all of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back