Cooker Cable Outside????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although we don't have an electric cooker, I would like to install a supply for one.

The Problem :cry:

The only path for the cable is, from CU through outside wall under soffit, (converted bungalow) along wall below soffit, down and through wall to cooker switched unit. Total lenth of cable is approx 15Mtrs. A 45amp spare MCB is there, and CU has 80amp 30mA RCD All installation would be in steel conduit or another recommended method.

Can this be done legally, and what would your recommended method be.

Thanks for ANY help/advice you can provide. :)

Sponsored Links
Salem, forget the steel conduit, it would need to be 32mm or 50mm in order to get the cables through it.

Best way is to run it in 3 core SWA.

Thanks FWL, had to ask though.

What size SWA would you sugest to cover most applications?

If you want to ensure complete compliance I would go for a 6mm. The current carrying capacity for 6mm SWA far exceeds that of T&E, especially clipped direct the way you will be doing it.

Sponsored Links
there are 2 types of swa
pvc and xple
the xple has a significantly higer capacity for it's conductor area so i suggest you use it

you need to use metal boxes to terminate the swa and outside runs should be independently isolateable before leaving the building iirc

so i would usgest you get 2 metalclad cooker isolators of the approprote rating

fit one next to the CU and one neext to the cooker and run the swa between them (remember to use glands

then you can wire in the cable from the cooker and the cable to the CU

Plug, there is no significant rating difference between PVC and XLPE insulated SWA than warrants the extra cost of XLPE for this installation.

XLPE is simply a better grade of insulation, it has a higher temperature rating and is also LSF rated, that is only rreason for the difference.

Regarding the isolation aspect..BUNK...it will terminated in the Consumer unit..that is one point of isolation, and in the kitchen the cooker unit provides local isolation.

That is all that is required and all that is needed. Putting in isolators for the sake of it makes no sense at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back