Core drill into drain gully?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, is it possible to core drill into the side of a below-ground drainage gully?
I have for some reason, a drainage gully sat just inside the outside wall of a lean-to / conservatory and a drainage channel on the opposite side (the outside) of the wall. The latter though, does not go anywhere. The rainwater does feed via a pipe, through the wall and into the gully. Assuming any of it does not get blocked and then floods the whole area.
As such, surface rainwater backs-up and then floods under the door and into the conservatory area, draining into the inside gully.
Needless to say, this is not ideal and in fact, does not work.
I wish to cut through from the external channel, into the side wall of the gully. Is it possible, or will it just shatter the clay gully?

Attachments

• 20240520_112906.jpg
    20240520_112906.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240923_111525.jpg
    20240923_111525.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2024-09-23 17.04.18.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 17.04.18.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Can’t quite make out what’s going on from your pics, but you can’t really do that, rock hard fired clay and it’s probably not a flat surface either to seal.
Better to dig the clay one out, cut the clay pipe (easy with disc cutter) replace with plastic gulley, which can have a side connection spigot on it, and join to clay with a black rubber connector. Or a wc pan connector probably get away with

Can’t quite make out what’s going on from your pics, but you can’t really do that, rock hard fired clay and it’s probably not a flat surface either to seal.
Better to dig the clay one out, cut the clay pipe (easy with disc cutter) replace with plastic gulley, which can have a side connection spigot on it, and join to clay with a black rubber connector. Or a wc pan connector probably get away with
Thanks for the reply.
That's a pest. The floor has been sealed with some sort of garage floor sealing paint. Epoxy I assume. It's going to be a right pain to dig out etc.
I hear what you're saying though.
Who on earth thought that doing what they have done would be a good idea. Doh!
In the first pic below, taken back in sunnier times, the vertical gutter down-pipe has been re-routed to drain out on to the lawn. The pipe sticking out of the wall comes through into the inside and directs into the gully. Externally, you can just make out the channel below the pipe, full of soil, but goes nowhere. It is this that I was wanting to core-drill in to the gully.
In the second pic, the channel in the floor is supposed to catch any excess, that will run off of the external concrete slab and then under the door, directing it into the gully as well. The previous pics above show how I have done away with the run-off to the lawn and re-routed it into the internal pipe. Trouble is, in the torrential rain like the last couple of days, the whole lot can't take it and the whole floor has become flooded.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-23 20.26.50.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 20.26.50.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-09-23 20.30.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 20.30.21.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
so you’d be core drilling from outside, through the wall, under across about 6” of floor and into the gulley? Deffo no chance

What direction does the outlet run, if it goes back outside you could join into it

Sponsored Links
Kind of related, the attached pic is an extract of the Searches that came back showing the drainage from the property. It's referred to as a 'combined' public sewer. In other words I assume, that both rain and foul (sewage) water run together into a single pipeline in the street? Can anyone confirm I am correct in my understanding of this?
This being the case, I assume that I would be ok then to re-route either gutter and / or surface water, into the wc outlet? We have an outside toilet.
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any further surface drains anywhere about the rear of the property.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-27 05.01.29.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 05.01.29.png
    523.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes if it’s a combined drain, but you can’t just tee a rainwater pipe in, it’d have to go to its own gulley, the outlet of which then joins the foul/combined drainage

Rainwater is ok to go into the sewer, 'Combined' means it takes both foul and surface water, a 'separate' system as the name keeps rainwater and sewage apart, with each having their own system of pipework.

Any rainwater connection to a combined sewer though must be made via a trapped gully, otherwise you'll have odour/gases from the sewer venting where they could cause an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back