Corner plot workshop application - foreseeable gotchas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of applying for planning permission for a single story detached workshop to the side of my house. Behind the principle elevation, but as it's a corner plot, I am subject to planning permission. Building will be block built, just shy of 6x3.8m & flat roof.

1725434402685.png

I have already excavated to ~400mm below grade as part of putting a play area in some years ago, so even with a total building height of 2.7m, I'm under 2.4m w.r.t the pavement.
Construction will be inside the fence line that exists at 1.8m tall, so only 0.6m will be showing above the fence, half of which will be uPVC fascia and the EPDM edging.

High level obscured glazing windows to the SW end. Composite door and window into garden from NE end.

I will be retaining an existing walkway 0.85m wide between the main dwelling and the workshop wall.

Of the properties behind me and on the other side of the side road to the North, I have the shortest garden fence at 1.8m. Behind me is 2m, and across the road is 2.4m. Both properties also have timber buildings hard against the property line protruding visibly over the fence line.

With my proposal, I will exclusively restrict the view of.... my house wall.

So, before I commit too many of my hopes and dreams (and money) to this application. Are there any obvious gotchas that I'll likely fall foul of? Currently worried about:
1) excavations adjacent to highway - (is this even a concern of granting permission?)
2) Proximity to main dwelling
3) Height above fence
4) painted blockwork finish w.r.t brick house finish (roof, & windows are already replicating existing finishes)

It clearly won't actually be red, but this is a very rough view from street level, will be doing this properly on any full application.
1725436170830.png

Any thoughts welcomed :) Cheers,

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Should also add, have spoken with relevant neighbours and all are fine with it. Most recommended "Just build it, the council won't care"

I am in the process of applying for planning permission for a single story detached workshop to the side of my house. Behind the principle elevation, but as it's a corner plot, I am subject to planning permission. Building will be block built, just shy of 6x3.8m & flat roof.

View attachment 354440
Why do you think planning permission will be required? Assuming all other criteria is met (height etc) why do you think building between the side and the boundary is restricted?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's for Class A Extensions to a dwelling But you're not attaching to the house are you? So this is an outbuilding and you need to meet the criteria for Class E page 41 onwards.

Epic. Thanks FMT.
While corner plots are not explicitly stated under class E, it is explicitly stated under class A, which sets a precedent that omission is permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back