Correct way to join electrical cables in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm needing to move an electrical socket about 1-2 meters in my living room. I was intending on joining the cable in the cavity of the original socket then, as its not needed, covering/plastering over it. The join will be inaccessible when finished.

What's the best (correct?) way to join the cable? Crimps, solder, screw in terminals in choc box?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A hager j803 junction box as it needs to be maintenance free as it is inaccessible, bear in mind if the box or any of the cable is less than 50mm deep it will still need to remain in a safe zone once the initial sockets removed

The "best" way is likely to be to use wago connectors for the join, left in the back box and put a blanking plate over them.

That way the joint is still accessible in case there is a fault on that circuit.
If you just use a choc block (if it's on a ring your needing a big choc bloc) and you hide that behind plastering, if that becomes loose (and they can) then your going to have a fault that cannot be found without ripping holes in the wall.

You need to consider safe zones.

The best way to achieve your goal is to add the new socket as a spur and keep the existing socket in position. This week work if the circuit can be adapted

Sponsored Links
I'm needing to move an electrical socket about 1-2 meters in my living room. I was intending on joining the cable in the cavity of the original socket then, as its not needed, covering/plastering over it. The join will be inaccessible when finished.
It seems that you have an existing socket and you want to relocate it 1-2 meters horizontally from the existing position?
If that is the case, and if the existing cable comes vertically down the wall (it should do) then you cannot just chase across the wall and cover/fill in the existing socket position. ie creating a dog leg in the wiring.
Cable runs are marked by the positioning of sockets, switches etc and the cable run must be horizontally ar vertically from the socket position. But plastering over the existing box there will be no "marker" for the existing vertical cable run. See this for more information. https://flameport.com/wiring_regulations/BS7671_selected_subjects/zones_concealed_cables.cs4

You can do as you plan if you fit a blanking plate on the existing box, but you cannot plaster over it.

Hi all,

What's the best (correct?) way to join the cable? Crimps, solder, screw in terminals in choc box?

Cheers
In line wagos or even crimp and shrink fit

Thanks all! I've had a look at safe zones and will follow that. I'll join the cable inside the old back box, fit a blank and leave it accessible.

Cheers!

Thanks all! I've had a look at safe zones and will follow that. I'll join the cable inside the old back box, fit a blank and leave it accessible.

Cheers!
Unless it would be 'in the way' or behind a radiator etc I'd suggest leaving a socket there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back