Could this wall be load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all

I've been searching the forums, as there are a number of similar threads, but wanted to make a new thread looking for advice on removing a wall between our bathroom and old airing cupboard.

So from inside the bathroom, it's mainly large blocks with brick above the door frame and into the loft:
Bathroom_above_1.jpgBathroom_above_2.jpg

It's been built on the joist, on top of the floorboards, with another piece of wood on top of those:
Bathroom_below_1.jpg

I've been in the loft, and the brick work goes above the plasterboard ceiling in the bathroom but obviously stops after the bathroom wall (in the latter two pictures):
Loft_1.jpgLoft_3.jpgLoft_4.jpgLoft_5.jpg

The wall in question is only present in the bathroom, the adjoining bedroom is quite a bit longer.

Is it possible to tell whether this is load bearing? My initial thought before taking off the tiles was that it wasn't, as it runs parallel to the joist rather than perpendicular, but I expected it to be a normal stud wall.

Thanks

Joe

Attachments

• Bathroom_below_2.jpg
    Bathroom_below_2.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 4
  • Loft_2.jpg
    Loft_2.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 7
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back