counter batten question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just had my close boarded roof re-done. The original price included 'supply and fix treated batten timbers' but the roofer says that didn't include counter-battening, because he hadn't expected to have to do it. If you're laying a new membrane wouldn't counter-battening go with the territory? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you're laying a new membrane wouldn't counter-battening go with the territory?
Only if you are in Scotland, I believe. In the absence of any (solid) sarking - no. If your roofer was under the impression it was a standard roof, then he will have priced it assuming standard batten fix, direct to the rafters.

If it's a like for like replacement, and to current standards, then that is what would be expected to be included in the quote.

To me, "supply and fit treated batten timbers" does not matter whether they are tile battens or counter battens. And what are we talking about here £50 on a £8k job?

Thanks. He knew it was close boarded because I’d shown him the loft eaves where I had a leak.

Sponsored Links
You don't have to counter batten .unless it's a boarded roof .
The underlay should be draped not pulled taught .
If you can not drape it then you need counter battens .
As he knew it was boarded then hard luck on him . To be honest a few counter battens don't cost much and there's a time saving laying the underlay

He said he had expected to hang something over the battens - think he used the word 'weep'. Any ideas?

No idea here .. tell him to weep then shut up and put counter battens on

Last edited:
£440 plus VAT for 25x50 battens? Online I can see it's about 66p per metre so that would be about 150 lengths of 4.5m (the rafters are 4m). How closely are they spaced?! Is there a fag packet conversion calculation?

Supply and fix? :oops:

Labour is extra. Woody's comment alerted me. It's a T shaped house so even if you doubled it... From what I've ready the maximum spacing is 600mm so I should be able to calculate. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back