Cracked render between timber and brick - fixable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got cracked roughcast render on an upstairs elevation of the house which I think is due to the different expansion/contraction rates of the brick and timber substrate. (It's 1920's brick cavity but many years ago two bay windows were removed and the area below the windows are now timber.) A builder said he would chase out the cracks, fill with resin and blend it all with a Tyrolean finish. I'm wondering if the same would happen and perhaps the only solution would be to replace the timber by brick, which I imagine would be massive job.

I see a lot of composite or cement cladding going up on houses but I'm wary about completely changing the look of the house unless there's no other option. Anyone know if this problem is resolvable? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Do you think it would be sufficient to put it just across the joints or should the render come off all the timber and mesh the whole area? It's quite an exposed elevation.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in replying, hope this is adequate.

1723637681572.jpeg

I guess there are no other cracks and the inside is free from cracks too?

I have had cracks in render and plaster sorted out recently. In my case, there were two causes. The first was caused by a 4+m concrete lintel overloaded with weight above, where high density concrete blocks replaced part of a window in the middle of the lintel. Over the decades, the lintel cracked and other less strong blocks and bricks cracked right through, causing cracks to appear in the plaster on the inside and render on the outside.

There were other cracks, which appeared where the substrate changed. In one case this was where brick met timber and where brick met plasterboard.

In both cases, a mesh was affixed over the area where the two met, then area was replastered/ re-rendered.

Thanks, that’s helpful. It’s just the outside so I suspect it’s due to the two different materials.

If yours was done recently hopefully it will get through the winter intact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back