Cracks appearing in Living Room walls following digging work down 10ft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’m looking for a little advice, I live in an end terraced house, and there has been some work carried out by a water company to dig up the 10ft alongside my house. I wont go into too much detail but large wagons up and down the 10ft, 20 to 30 times a day for 3 months, then drilling and digging of the 10ft for a couple of months, a lot of work has been going on.

The whole house vibrates and shakes when the wagons crash up and down and with the digging etc, its concerning what damage may be getting caused to the house.

I’ve noticed some cracks in the living room wall, a couple of them pictured in the example. I’ve spoken to the company involved and they have asked me to get some quotes to have the cracks repaired.

On the face of it, I’d assume I just need a decorator till fill and make good on the cracks enabling me to redecorate, but is that the right thing to do or should I really have some look at it more closely?

I don’t feel like anyone would want the work if it’s a refill job, its something I could just do myself, but I’m not sure its wise to patch it up if damage has been caused it will just crack again?

Any advice is massively appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Crack.jpg
    Crack.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If caused by excavation, the cause is structural movement of the wall (and possibly the foundations) and so may not merely be plaster repairs!

You should have been served a Party Wall notice for excavations within 3m of your property.

You should instruct a structural engineer to report, and/or contact your home insurer and see if they will deal with the investigation and any subsequent claim.

Hi There,

Thanks for the replies, The work has all but finished now, all that really remains (I believe) is to resurface the 10ft. Its been a complete nightmare, you cannot be home during the day for basically the last 7 months, my partner who doesnt work had to leave the house constantly, you cant think straight when you're teeth are vibrating in your head in your own home.

I've got a damaged fence and a few other bits along with these cracks, I had someone around who has said they will put everything outside the house right, but I need to get quotes to fix the cracks. That to me means they have accepted they caused them.

Sorry just to check on your advice there, who would you advise I contact? is the best place to start my insurance company and say i have concerns and think it needs to be checked over by a structural engineer? and is that something that would likely be covered by my insurance?

I really feel lost as to where to turn, but feel patching it up isnt the correct move.

Sponsored Links
Check your policy to see what is covered and what extra services you may have.

If you do contact them, be sure to state that it's not a claim at this stage, merely that you want advice and [legal] assistance if available in dealing with potential damage caused by a third party.

If you want to go out alone, you need to instruct a structural engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back