Cracks in ceiling and walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a few cracks in the walls and ceiling

Few random cracks in the ceiling but in one corner of the house we have a crack in the corner of the window frame going up and into the ceiling, in pretty much the same place up and down stairs in this exact same corner

Sponsored Links
Photos will help.

How old is the property (approximately)?

IMG_9539.jpeg

Sponsored Links

Ok, thanks.

Are they dot and dab plasterboard walls or solid plaster?

Image number 1- if you push against it, can you see movement?

Image number 2 looks like plasterboard "tape and join". I might be wrong though. I am a decorator rather than a plasterer. Tape and join is a cheap way to finish walls. Paper tape is run around the corners and then filler is applied over top. Sometimes, the corner paper delaminates.

Edit, sorry, forgot to say that the Toupret Flex and Fill can, when used under the correct circumstances, be a very effective filler.

I don't want to recommend it without knowing more about the walls though.

Ok, image number one, rake out the crack slightly, sand it flat, gun in some Toupret Flex and Fill and push it in deep with a filler knife . It will shrink back over night. The next day use Toupret Quick Fill- it is a dream to sand back and unlike powder based fillers, the dust does not stick to everything.

Image two. If it is paper edging tape that has delaminated, I use a sharp knife to cut away a few mm (towards the wall), then brush in some PVA wood glue. Let that dry and use some Toupret Quick Fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back