Cracks in mortar and brick lintel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As can be seen in the picture below i have cracked mortar around the lintel which spreads to an upstairs window. No bricks are cracked. I just got home from working abroad and noticed this. I'm having a few weeks off before I find another job (self employed contractor) so I'll be doing the repair myself in my free time.

Im just after a little guidance for the method of repair here. I assume prop the wall in say 2(or more?) places and then rebuild the lintel and rake out the cracked mortar and replace? Should I put in some steel above the brick lintel to strengthen it up? I was thinking some angle iron in the mortar on the inside of the cavity 50mm x 50mm x 4mm?

[/img]

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that it's just a case of putting angle iron in over the door?

Don't wish to be alarmist, but that crack looks a little more ominous than simple failure of the arch over the door. A pic from further back would help.

Sponsored Links
He needs to google 'structural surveyors,Cheshire' first. That crack continues on to the left of the upper window, where someone has tried to fill it previously.

Cracks like that can be symptomatic of more deep-seated problems.

Heres a couple more pics.

There are no other cracks in the walls to make me suspect movement. Drainage at the back of the house is ok, but not so good at the bottom of the garden 25 ft away. I dont think that crack goes any further than the upstairs window sill. Someone at some point has filled little bits of the cracks here and there and looks like the sill has been pointed. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back