Curtains from ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone

Bit of a tricky one. Just been refurbishing my utility and looking to get some curtains to hide a load of shelving I’ve fixed to the wall. It’s the full wall so I need to mount it to the ceiling rather than the back of the wall as the shelves stick out way too far. I could attach a piece of wood running over the top for the full length but it’d stop me fully using up a shelf.

The problem I’ve got with the ceiling is that it’s a flat roof and the metal detector is just constantly going off. So I assume it’s some foil backed insulation right behind the plasterboard. The curtains will be full height at 228cm and the room is 207cm wide. So there will be a bit of weight. I need to fix a bracket either side and a support in the middle.

What’s the fixing of choice given the issues above? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Drill a few holes 500 mm or so apart.
The joists are likely 400/600 mm apart.

bend a U shape (only 90° bends) and thread the end into a hole, twist and find where it hits a joist.
Repeat.
You should get a rough idea where the joists are.

The problem I’ve got with the ceiling is that it’s a flat roof and the metal detector is just constantly going off. So I assume it’s some foil backed insulation right behind the plasterboard. The curtains will be full height at 228cm and the room is 207cm wide. So there will be a bit of weight. I need to fix a bracket either side and a support in the middle.

A rare earth magnet, will find the screws or nail heads, holding up the PB, but ignore the foil backing. Find one row of fixing, a tape measure will help to find the rest, which is where the joists will be located.

A rare earth magnet, will find the screws or nail heads, holding up the PB, but ignore the foil backing. Find one row of fixing, a tape measure will help to find the rest, which is where the joists will be located.
Didn’t think of that. Thank you! I’ll give that a go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back