Cutting 15mm Off Each Side Of A Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

But of a cockup with a door lining, the opening has come out at 740mm for a 762mm door.

The door specs say the lipping is 10mm so I'm going to have to remove them on both sides and refit.

Is it as simple as cutting the door with a circular saw, retrieve the lippings from the offcut and regluing them back into the door?

Thanks
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

But of a cockup with a door lining, the opening has come out at 740mm for a 762mm door.

The door specs say the lipping is 10mm so I'm going to have to remove them on both sides and refit.

Is it as simple as cutting the door with a circular saw, retrieve the lippings from the offcut and regluing them back into the door?

Thanks
Chris.
Possibly, but lipping is often part of the internal door frame so will be weakened when just gluing back on and you will need to remove the 10mm each side from the internal frame thus weakening it, as long as you take this into account its possible.

Walls are being plastered tomorrow so taking the lining out isn't an option, I could possibly add to the lining and go to a narrower door.

Sponsored Links
Even after plastering, if it's possible to remove the lining, and remove packing and refit, that's a better option.

If it means re-cutting masonry, probably not - unless it's thermalite block that can be hand sawn easily.

It's in a 4x2 stud wall.

Spoke to plasterer this morning, he's going to leave that bit till tomorrow so I'll remove the lining shortly and route it down by 7mm each side.

That'll leave 25mm on the lining and give me an opening of 754mm, leaving 7mm each side to come off the door to give a 3mm gap which should be fine.

Thanks
Chris

So I spent a bit of time with the router on the hidden faces and I've got the opening to 754mm so now the door will fit the gap with a bit of work.

Thanks
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back