Cutting Architrave For New Flooring Dilemma

V0Y

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Got a bit of a dilemma which i was hoping someone may have some tips on how to handle. We recently did a renovation, new LVT click flooring was fitted and architrave was installed on top. All good.

Due to issues with the subfloor, I will be removing all of the LVT click flooring and skirting, a self levelling compound will be poured and a LVT glue down flooring will be fitted. The final floor height will be about 6mm higher than current. The floor fitters have advised they will only scribe around architraves.

In a ideal world, i would like the new LVT floor to be slid underneath the architrave for a better finish. However, my issue is that i dont know exactly what my final floor height will be so i cant pre-cut the architrave (in fear of cutting too much off). If i choose to leave the architrave as it is and then pour the self levelling, some of the architrave will get buried in the self levelling compound. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

I was thinking i could allow some of the architrave to get buried in the self-levelling and then come along with a multi tool and run it flush against the floor so a few mm is shaved off the architrave. Would this work? I have approx 10mm of self levelling being poured and then a 2.5mm floor being glued down.

Any other ideas how i could tackle it? Of course worst case scenario is the floor fitters just scribe around the architrave and door stops. Skirtings i am doing again so not concerned with that.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could take the architrave off. (Or employ a chippy to do so)

You could take the architrave off. (Or employ a chippy to do so)
Yes thats true however I'm trying to avoid doing that. It just creating even more work, and then the door frames will need sanding down a bit to remove the caulk/filler/paint that was along the architrave and door frame, then the chippie would need to re-do the architraves and then i come along and do the paint / filler etc.

The skirting was a non-negotiable for me so i was happy to redo that, really dont fancy re-doing architraves, would rather just have them scribe around it if theres no other viable alternative

You can use a multi tool to cut off at ground after self leveling compound has set. Then cut again at floor height when flooding is fitted

• Thanks
Reactions: V0Y
Sponsored Links
You can use a multi tool to cut off at ground after self leveling compound has set. Then cut again at floor height when flooding is fitted
I was thinking let floor fitters pour self levelling (meaning about 3mm of the architrave get buried into the self levelling). Then before they glue down the floor, run the multitool and remove approx 3mm. This would create enough of a gap between self level and architrave to slide 2.5mm floor panel in.

I just wasnt sure if its ok to do it this way or if there were any other better ways (other than re-doing architrave)

Trouble will multi tool it's a bit rough.
I cut an inch off a few architraves then glued back on. The reset I took off as easy enough as I fitted.
I pin nail on then powder fill followed by the smallest amount of caulk.
I'm not a fan of gunning loads of caulk everywhere

• Thanks
Reactions: V0Y
So just an update, floor fitters came, thankfully didn't need to pour too much self levelling. They poured it literally to the point it meets the architrave. Then went around and trimmed a few mm off the architrave with a multi tool and slid the flooring under it. A very clean and tidy job they did! Just a light bit of sanding and you wouldn't even know someone's put a multitool to the architrave. Thanks for the tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back