Cutting door threshold into concrete step?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace and old wooden door and frame with something insulated and watertight.. Problem is, I don't have much height - lintel is only 1820 above step..
I'm thinking to cut the new door threshold into the step.... Folly? Any other solutions? Can't lift lintel as there are floor joists for upstairs sitting on it.....

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Door opens inwards...

Attachments

• PXL_20240608_095443091.jpg
    PXL_20240608_095443091.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Would love to, but ground level outside is flush with top of the concrete, and it's a big step down to get inside... I'd basically have to replace at same height so reckon I'd just be making work for myself.....

Level threshold door, and for a shed? you could slice about 35mm off the top.of a uPVC door frame.

Alternatively You could cut the inside half of the masonry threshold off and set the door lower - (you'll have already have stepped down into the shed before you bang your head) - you'd need to do some jiggery-pokery with the drainage out of the bottom of the frame (probably a couple of slanting drainage holes to the front of the threshold).

Higher lintel with joists hung from it instead of bearing on it.

I fitted a few doors that "don't fit" usually because I've bought them for pennies off eBay (often brand new mis-measured) so it's worth a bit of "adjusting" and lateral thinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back