Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I posted a forum post here about a poor boiler install and have now asked roofers to have a look in the coming week at the crossbeam the engineers cut significantly when installing the boiler.

Please can I ask what your opinions are on this roof. We would be happy with a full crossbeam replacement but I suppose this will be very intrusive. The beam goes into the wall at either side of the property. I take it this would be a scaffolding job and works from the outside of the roof dismanting the roof but is it possible that dismantling the roof can weaken it and how soon should this type of fault be rectified? A year has passed since it was damaged as we only noticed the issue during our first yearly boiler service.

Thank you all in adance,

Attachments

• Cross beam goes into wall.png
    Cross beam goes into wall.png
    542.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Under CrossBeam Structure.jpg
    Under CrossBeam Structure.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Affected Side.jpg
    Affected Side.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 62
  • (Middle).jpg
    (Middle).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 63
  • (Opposite Side).jpg
    (Opposite Side).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Cut beam.png
    Cut beam.png
    976.5 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Please can I ask what your opinions are on this roof. We would be happy with a full crossbeam replacement but I suppose this will be very intrusive. The beam goes into the wall at either side of the property. I take it this would be a scaffolding job and works from the outside of the roof dismanting the roof but is it possible that dismantling the roof can weaken it and how soon should this type of fault be rectified? A year has passed since it was damaged as we only noticed the issue during our first yearly boiler service.

I think this problem, was 'done to death' in your original thread.

However - A sensible repair to expect, in my opinion, would be the moving of that flue out of the way, and the reinforcement, by sistering of that damaged beam.

Thanks Harry for your message. Is it unreasonable to expect original restoration of the beam full replacement?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harry for your message. Is it unreasonable to expect original restoration of the beam full replacement?
It's a ceiling binder. It's a supplementary item fitted to take the bounce out of the ceiling. Fit one this side of the flue exit or do an ugly repair with ply gussets and screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back